The annual Candidates Forum of the OGHOA was held on Saturday, September 23rd, 2023, in the Camp Meeting Community Room at 28 Pilgrim Pathway and via Zoom.
The meeting was called to order by Richard Williams, President, at 10:05 am. He gave a brief introduction to the Forum and led the Pledge of Allegiance.
A few announcements were made before the Forum:
- Joan Venezia reviewed the North End status and explained the upcoming September 28th hearing in Freehold.
- Because of rain the British Car Show was moved ahead to Saturday, September 30th.
- The Chamber of Commerce Fall Harvest Festival will be on Saturday, October 14th.
- Committeeman Rob Lane reported that the work on Fletcher Lake was nearing completion and there will be a dedication ceremony on October 21st.
- Our next OGHOA meeting on Saturday October 28th will feature Past President Barbara Burns and Ocean Grove attorney Robert Ingato presenting an overview of legal issues of importance in Ocean Grove.
THE CANDIDATES FORUM
There were 3 forums:
- Forum 1 For State Senate: Vin Gopal (D); and for State Assembly: Margie Donlon & Luanne Peterpaul (D) – note that their Republican opponents did not attend.
- Forum 2 For Monmouth County Commissioner: Alison DeNoia & Arthur Schlossbach (D) — Erik Anderson & Ross Licitra (R)
- Forum 3 For Neptune Township Committee: Keith Cafferty (D) – Rachel Stolte (R)
At each forum the candidates were given 2-minutes to introduce themselves, and then the candidates fielded 20 minutes of questions from the audience. A variety of topics were covered, including the high cost of living in New Jersey, soaring property taxes, the quality of the school systems, homeless issues, and parking. The candidates’ responses were informative and the ensuing discussion spirited.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:47am. Respectfully submitted by Theresa Checki, Secretary OGHOA.