A regular membership meeting of the Ocean Grove Homeowners Association (OGHOA) was held on Saturday, June 25, 2022 at 10:00 live in the Community Room and via Zoom.
The meeting was called to order by Richard Williams, President, at 10:05 am. Richard welcomed all, opened the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance, and followed by recognizing several guests—Michael Badger and Jamie Jackson of the CMA, Neptune Township Committeeman Rob Lane, and former State Assemblyman Eric Houghtaling.
Michael Bascom, Chief Financial Officer, Neptune Township, Tax Collector, Emergency Management Coordinator and Volunteer EMS Captain.
Michael’s presentation included a very comprehensive presentation of the 2023 Neptune Township Budget and the Budget process. The overall Township budget will increase by 2.2%. As far as our taxes, even though the Township tax rate will decrease to $1.881 per hundred assessed value, our overall taxes will go up reflecting the increase to the School, County, Fire and Library taxes. Michael answered all questions followed.
- The next Township Meetings are Mondays June 27th and July 25th (note that July 11th is skipped as the Township only meets once in July and August).
- Sunday, June 26 – Block Party at Allegria, 1-3pm
- Saturday, July 2nd – Independence Parade starts at 10:30am
- Ocean Grove Ladies Auxiliary (shout out to Bonnie Graham’s article in The Coaster)
o July 7-9 – Book Sale
o July 13 – Fish & Chips Dinner
o July 21-23 – Thrifty Threads Clothing Sale
o July 28-30 – Summer Marketplace/Bazaar
- The Ocean Grove Historical Society event calendar has five separate lectures in July alone on topics as varied as Asbury Park’s First Observation Wheel to Famous & Forgotten Ships and Shipwrecks off the Jersey Shore. Go to their website to learn more.
- Sunday, July 10th – Choir Festival
- The next HOA meeting is July 23rd at 10:00am. Our Guest Speaker is Gina LaPlaca, the new Neptune Township Business Manager who replaced Vito Gadaleta in January of this year.
- Looking Ahead – Saturday, August 27th – Our Annual Summer Breakfast at the Olin Street Firehouse
Nominations for Officers and one BOT position (elections will be at our July Meeting):
- President – Richard Wiliams
- Vice President – Joyce Klein
- Treasurer – Nancy Clarke
- Secretary – Joyce Klein
- BOT – Paul Kaplan
OGHOA Reports and Updates:
- North End – Joan Venezia provided an update
- Airbnb – Joyce Klein reported that the Township has under consideration an ordinance which require a 2-day minimum for airbnb rentals to just 2 days but would include increased fees and inspections.
- Parking – Joyce Klein informed the Township is still considering an Ocean Grove town-wide survey, but no matter the results, changed would not take effect until 2023.
- Preservation Committee – Ron Goldfaden will succeed Nancy Clarke as Chair. Ron reported that a meeting of the Committee was held on Wednesday, June 22, with 8 new volunteers.
- Michael Badger of the CMA spoke of a number of up coming events as well as upcoming construction endeavors.
The meeting adjourned at 11:25am. Respectfully submitted, Theresa R. Checki, OGHOA Secretary.
NOTE that following the Meeting a very moving tribute for former OGHOA Trustee Kennedy Buckley was held in Thornley Chapel with his family in attendance. The tribute was followed by a walk to Auditorium Park and to the plaque and tree planted in memory of Ken through the dedicated work of former OGHOA President Barbara Burns.