A regular membership meeting of the Ocean Grove Homeowners Association (OGHOA) was held on Saturday, July 23, 2022 in the Community Room and via Zoom.
The meeting was called to order by Richard Williams, President, at 10:05 am. Richard welcomed all and opened the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance, followed by recognizing several guests — Michael Badger and Jamie Jackson of the CMA, Neptune Township Committeeman Rob Lane, and former State Assemblyman Eric Houghtaling.
Gina LaPlaca, new Neptune Township Business Administrator who replaced Vito Gadaleta at the start of 2022. Gina reviewed important Neptune/Ocean Grove issues including updates on parking, the North End Redevelopment, and Airbnb’s.
Gina handled many follow-up membership questions.
- Township Meetings: (only 1 per month) Monday July 27th and August 22nd (only one Township Meeting in July and August)
- Historical Society Lectures
- Saturday 07/23 – 7pm – History of the little-known Camp Evans on the Shark River
- Saturday 07/30 – 7pm – Famous & Forgotten Ships and Shipwrecks of the Jersey Shore
- Saturday 08/06 – 7pm – Rosie the Riveter
- Thursday through Saturday July 28-30 Ladies Auxiliary – Summer Marketplace/Bazaar
- Saturday July 30 – all-day CMA “ALL IN” Festival, including
- 6pm Pier Restoration Kick-off Ceremony
- 7pm Pier Concert
- 9pm Fireworks
- Tuesday 08/09 – 10am – Historical Society Architectural History Walking Tour with Jenny Shaffer
- Friday August 12 – Historical Society Virtual House Tour
- Friday August 12 – Illumination Night 8-10pm Auditorium Square Park
- Saturday August 13 Ladies Auxiliary – Ice Cream Social & Art in the Park
- Saturday, August 27th – Our Annual Summer Breakfast at the Olin Street Firehouse
- $20 tickets were on sale at the back of the room after the meeting — and then will be on sale with Susan at Cheese on Main, 53 Main Avenue
- Speakers will be key incumbent office holders, including our first opportunity to hear from Marilyn Piperno and Kimberly Eulner, our Republican State Assemblywomen.
2022 OGHOA Elections:
Past President Barbara Burns moderated our 2022 elections. After giving brief personal statements, the following nominees were elected by unanimous membership vote both live and via Zoom.
- President – Richard Williams
- Vice President – Joyce Klein
- Treasurer – Nancy Clarke
- Secretary – Theresa Checki
- BOT member – Paul Kaplan
The four officers have 2-year terms; the BOT member has a 4-year term. There is still one opening on the Board of Trustees which can be filled by Presidential appointment: the new member will be announced at the August HOA Summer Breakfast.
Special Topic – the CMA proposed “Fitness Trail”:
CMA President Michael Badger gave an overview of their proposed “Fitness Trail” made possible by a $500,000 grant from the State of New Jersey procured by the efforts of our State Senator Vin Gopal. The Fitness Trail will run parallel to the Boardwalk along its West side and is being conceived to separate bicyclists and other wheel-based transports in an effort to increase the safety of people walking on the Boardwalk. Michael’s overview was followed by extensive membership questioning, and a straw poll at the end of his presentation showed unanimous concern about the project.
OGHOA Reports and Updates:
- With both BOT members Joyce Klein and Joan Venezia absent, and with Gina LaPlaca already having addressed these issues earlier, President Williams gave very brief updates on their key parking and North End committee reports.
- President Williams also reported on the upcoming Township Ordinance that will limit Airbnb rentals to a minimum of two-night rentals and will include added fees and inspections to bring Airbnb rentals to more on a par with Hotel and Bed and Breakfast requirements.
- Membership Committee member Ron Goldfadden announced that our paid membership total is just under 500, emphasizing that the larger our membership, the larger our power and influence in town.
- And in his capacity of Chair of the Preservation Committee Chair which now totals almost 10 members, Ron reported that his next Committee Meeting would be on July 25th and that members would be reporting on actions they had committed to at their last meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 11:40am. Respectfully submitted, Theresa R. Checki, OGHOA Secretary.